Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Review: After Obsession by Carrie Jones and Steven E. Wedel

After Obsession
After Obsession by Carrie Jones and Steven E. Wedel 

Aimee and Alan have secrets. Both teens have unusual pasts and abilities they prefer to keep hidden. But when they meet each other, in a cold Maine town, they can't stop their secrets from spilling out. Strange things have been happening lately, and they both feel that something-or someone- is haunting them. They're wrong. Despite their unusual history and powers, it's neither Aimee nor Alan who is truly haunted. It's Alan's cousin Courtney who, in a desperate plea to find her missing father, has invited a demon into her life-and into her body. Only together can Aimee and Alan exorcise the ghost. And they have to move quickly, before it devours not just Courtney but everything around her.
Filled with heart-pounding romance, paranormal activity, and rich teen characters to love-and introducing an exciting new YA voice, Steven Wedel-this novel is exactly what Carrie Jones fans have been waiting for. Meet your next obsession.

Published in US: Sept 13 2011
Source: won from Princess Bookie

My Review:
   After Obsession is a really interesting paranormal project, and it is fun to see two different perspectives from two different authors. I didn't really know or pay attention to that when I went into the book, but found out after, and that made it even more attractive to me. 
   I liked the two main characters, Aimee was a great mix of strong and brave, rightfully fearful, and a hint of vulnerability. Her family was also a hoot--I really enjoyed Gramps and Benji's camaraderie, grumpiness and their affection for Aimee. 
   It was fun to be in Alan's head too. There is an undeniable sense of maleness and that's something that I don't see contrasted to the feminine that often. I also really appreciate the different ethnicity and the fact that he didn't try to hide it. I do have an issue with his mom though. I think that the protectiveness and love that I know is there from some of her comments is sharply contrasted by her disdain of the Navajo culture he tries to embrace. I also wish that the ending could have been more fleshed out because it seemed almost anticlimatic.
   Overall though, I enjoyed this one and would read a follow up novel if it were released. 
I'd love to hear what you think of the book and/or my review. 

3 comments:

  1. Great review. I didn't like Need by Carrie Jones, but I def. want to try this one. Looks good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really curious about this one, I haven't read anything by Carrie Jones and I've heard mixed reviews about her Need series. Despite the somewhat anticlimactic ending, I'm still really interested in reading it, thanks Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The love interest in this book held me tightly! I loved seeing Amiee and Alan love grow for each other. The authors did not rush the love, but let it progress with the plot line and readers. Well done! This is what I like to see in books! Not a insta-love! But let me tell you ladies, Alan will have you swooning from the minute he is introduced!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)