Friday, May 11, 2012

Review: When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle

When You Were Mine
When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle
In this intensely romantic, modern recounting of the greatest love story ever told, Romeo’s original intended—Juliet’s cousin Rosaline—tells her side of the tale. What’s in a name, Shakespeare? I’ll tell you: Everything. Rosaline knows that she and Rob are destined to be together. Rose has been waiting for years for Rob to kiss her—and when he finally does, it’s perfect. But then Juliet moves back to town. Juliet, who used to be Rose’s best friend. Juliet, who now inexplicably hates her. Juliet, who is gorgeous, vindictive, and a little bit crazy...and who has set her sights on Rob. He doesn’t even stand a chance. Rose is devastated over losing Rob to Juliet. This is not how the story was supposed to go. And when rumors start swirling about Juliet’s instability, her neediness, and her threats of suicide, Rose starts to fear not only for Rob’s heart, but also for his life. Because Shakespeare may have gotten the story wrong, but we all still know how it ends…
Published in US: May 1 2012
Source: Galley Grab

My Review:

   Retellings for me are a hit or miss, and this was a hit. I enjoyed the plot and the twist of seeing everything from a new view. Rosie had a voice and story that helped me to feel for her and care about what she's going through.
   Her relationship with Rob is so new and tender and I just wanted to root for them even though I knew what was coming. They made a cute couple, and seemed to be really into each other.
   It was hard for me when Juliet came onto the scene. There was so much talk about 'the fight' between their family but when the details were revealed it felt like it was barely touched on and even though we see the devastation, we don't really get to feel it because its so brief. Juliet also isn't very nice. I could forgive going after Rob at first because Rosie never really clarified and it seemed like love at first glimpse from Rob and we never really get to hear why he was so attracted. I guess that it is supposed to be assumed and established because of the real play, but it was hard for me to buy. And regardless of first impressions and the fight between the families it seems that Juliet wouldn't violate the woman code and go after another's man once she figured it out.
   That said, I really enjoyed the build up and mystery of Len. I think it was one of my favorite aspects.
   Charlie also raised this story up! She was funny and a great best friend.
   As for the ending, I was really wondering how and if she was going to pull it off, but I think it was as well done.

Have you read this one? What did you think?
Have you ever thought much about the other side of the story?

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I've never been a fan of Romeo and Juliet, but I really enjoy retellings and this one sounds like a winner! Another I've read recently is Juliet Immortal by Stacy Jay, a Romeo and Juliet retelling with a paranormal twist. I haven't reviewed it yet, but it's pretty good.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! This sounds sop awesome! Can't believe I hadn't picked up a copy before.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)