Friday, September 6, 2013

Review: The Truth About You and Me by Amanda Grace

The Truth About You and Me
The Truth About You and Me by Amanda Grace

Smart girls aren't supposed to do stupid things.
Madelyn Hawkins is super smart. At sixteen, she's so gifted that she can attend college through a special program at her high school. On her first day, she meets Bennett. He's cute, funny, and kind. He understands Madelyn and what she's endured - and missed out on - in order to excel academically and please her parents. Now, for the first time in her life, she's falling in love.
There's only one problem. Bennett is Madelyn's college professor, and he thinks she's eighteen - because she hasn't told him the truth.
The story of their forbidden romance is told in letters that Madelyn writes to Bennett - both a heart-searing ode to their ill-fated love and an apology.


”add

Publishes in US: September 8th 2013 by Flux
Genre: YA contemporary
Source: Flux via netgalley
Series? No

Purchase: Amazon | B&N | Book Depository
Find Author: Website | Facebook | Twitter
 
    This is quite the story, and despite the fact I read one similar in theme and being with their teacher not to long ago (Where you Are by Trumble) I still thoroughly enjoyed. I think that Amanda Grace did a good job of painting the picture of how it started, and trying to show that Bennett aka Mr. Cartright didn't know she was only because she lied. It treaded some really thin lines, but I totally felt how she fell in love and can only imagine what it would be like to be a college professor and being attracted to your student.
    And I think that Bennett was honorable about it so long and showed so much but then again not enough restraint while he was still her teacher. 
    I liked Madelyn despite the lies, and I believe that she wanted to do the right thing, but was drawn in by the forbidden romance and the strength of her attraction for and connection with Bennett. But I also thought that he reacted when he did find out, but I also can see where he was coming from because it was a huge shock. But then again 16, 17 and 18 really isn't that big of a difference if all are age of consent. So I understand but also since it is from Madelyn's point of view totally am hurt and outraged by his ultimate negative reaction. 
    But Madelyn in some ways is more mature because she is smart and can handle college classes, but immature in the lies, and not standing up for herself for so long. She let her parents plans dictate her and guide her life even when she wasn't sure what she wanted for herself. But I suppose that she was mature in that she still studied and followed the path because of her reasoning, since she didn't know what she actually wanted, why make the fuss and not do the work until she figures it out. 
    One thing I didn't like though was the point of view. I get that it is a letter and a medium for telling stories, but the use of "you" making it feel like I was Mr. Cartwright is what kept this from being four or even possibly five stars. It pulled me out of things because it annoyed me, and that is totally personal preference on me, nothing on the writing.
    The ending was bittersweet but fitting and even though it felt a bit rushed to me, it was perfect for this story, and another big reason it differed from Where you Are. 

Bottom Line: Tough subject of teacher and student relationship with a twist.

Books similar to :(links go to my review) Where you Are by Trumble,

My question to you, my lovely readers:
Did you ever have a crush on teacher?
Follow on Bloglovin

37 comments:

  1. I've never read a book about a student/teacher relationship before and I just don't think I can bring myself to. I just find it so creepy haha.

    Great review though :) I'm glad the author managed to handle the subject well.

    - Allie @ Little Birdie Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to think if I have before this one and the trumble book

      Delete
  2. I think this is going to be good, and I do hope to start it soon. Great review. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good, though I liked the ending of Where you are better

      Delete
  3. I'm very wary of student/teacher relationship books, but only if the student is in high school. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Brandi. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was interesting twist with high schooler in college classes

      Delete
  4. Great review. Not only is love blind, it can also make fools of the most intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like letter and journal entries, but I don't think they always work to tell the story. I think they are best when mixed in. I have this coming up for review and I am most curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Brandi. I avoided this one because I wasn't sure if I would like the relationship. It sounds really good though, and it seems the author did a good job handling the story realistically. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how I would feel about this because I'm not a fan of romance with such a large age gap. Especially since she is still in high school. I love the cover though...
    Nice review =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, isn't it gorgeous. Age gaps can be problematic

      Delete
  8. The you would have thrown me too, I do like journals and letters. We are seeing a lot of this teacher/student theme lately. Fantastic review Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, now this sounds fun!

    And oh yes. I crushed on my grammar teacher (in university). I crushed so hard on him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sucks that the POV pulled you out of the story, but this does sound pretty good overall. I had a crush on my lit professor in college. But he was majorly off limits not only because I was his student, but because he doesn't even like women! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I gave this the same rating. I thought that Mr Cartwright as a bit dumb though - surely he should know that being with a student is wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but he did have decent restraint until she wasn't a student

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you liked this one. I've read some student/teacher books lately that have come across as awkward and very uncomfortable. I have this on my Kindle and I'm definitely looking forward to it now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to know that you still liked the characters even when you found the POV a little annoying. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have had crushes on teachers, but never where I wanted to actually date them. I guess I just wanted someone my age I liked as much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a bit hesitant to read student/teacher books. I think I got my fair share in Pretty Little Liars, haha :p But I've heard great things and I'm glad it worked for you. Great Review :D

    - Sunny @ A Sunny Spot Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not sure if I would enjoy this one. I think professors have a responsibility to remain professional so I can see myself getting majorly annoyed and a bit angry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. An Omniscient Points of View book, huh. Interesting. I've only read a couple, Kelli Maine's, and it can be confusing so I get why you were distracted a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I became aware of this book only yesterday, and it has become a must-read. Great review, I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Forbidden romances make for such great stories! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. it sounds nice, the cover is really cute

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I love the cover. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do occasionally like forbidden love type stories. And I never really had a crush on any teachers. There was one that was pretty good looking but it definitely wasn't a crush. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I totally had some crushed on professors in college but they never behaved anything less than professionally and it only motivated me to do better!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)