Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars Movie Review



Read my book review here

No movie spoilers

Okay, I went in with low expectations honestly. I loved the book, but I also loved the first Twilight and Vampire Academy. Wasn't so impressed with those movies. (Will say though I liked the rest in the Twilight series movies, but anyways.)
But I was blown away. It stayed true to the book in all of the ways that counted in my opinion. But then again, its been a while since I read.
But I thought that the casting was amazing. Woodley rocked it. She was emotional, she really sold the character to me, and that is how she will remain in my head.
I have seen Woodley in Divergent and Secret Life, but I hadn't seen Elgort in anything. But he was the perfect Gus. He was snarky at right times, emotional, and totally romantic.
They had such believable chemistry, made my heart beat and there were a few times where I did the lovesick sigh.
Also, the humor. It is right up my alley. I sat beside another adult and I almost asked her for her phone number because I think we could have been great friends, but alas, my anxiety wouldn't allow that. Some of the jokes went over the majority of the audiences' heads in Apex, but it felt like it was written for me.
And oh the emotions. I am not a crier. I would be in real life except if I were emotional about something then I don't think that I would be functional because of the pain... But anyways, it takes quite a bit for a movie or book to make me cry but it happens more often than crying over something real. But it had me tearing up a bit, and it was so powerful.
I would love to see it again, and I think it was a great book to screen adaptation, and earns my approval.

So, readers, have you seen it? Are you going to? What did you think or why are you not seeing?

Follow on Bloglovin

21 comments:

  1. I just know this book will make me cry which is why I am reluctant, but I do have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenea WhittingtonJune 7, 2014 at 9:31 AM

    I have held out not reading this one, it is one of those books that I don't think I would make it through. I love a good emotional type read, but this one is a little too close to home for me. So, I'll be holding out on the movie too. I'm glad it was really good though. Sometimes the movies don't do the book any justice, this sounds like it does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear this. I really didn't expect much as movies tend to ruin everything but I'm so happy you enjoyed this one. Great review, Brandi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the book yet, but may go see this with my daughter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to see this with a bunch of people tomorrow (including my 12-year-old daughter, who loved the book). I'm so glad that it stayed true to the book, and yes. I'm looking forward to seeing the humour first hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA, definitely agree with the first Twilight & VA movies. The last Twilight movie was amazing, though. Anyway, I'm so excited to watch this (on Monday, perhaps) and to cry AND laugh. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the no spoiler review, I want to watch this!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going on Sunday with other bloggers and book people and I'm SO excited! I think it'll be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to see this one today and absolutely loved it! They nailed it! The characters were perfect and I cried like a baby. Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read the book yet, though I'm planning to. Wouldn't want to miss the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can usually get a hint from the trailer as to whether or not the film makers understood the spirit of the book - VA and MI series, not so much! I had a good feeling from this trailer and I'm excited to see the movie, but a little nervous, because I think it will be way, way more sad watching it on screen.
    Great review -- thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad that you liked this movie! I have heard great things about it. I haven't read the book yet, but I haven't heard one bad thing about it. Maybe one day I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, this might be a good book to film adaption then! I love Shailene Woodley, and I can't wait to see her act again. I am sorry to say I really can't stand Elgort as an actor :( I think this might be one of the main things that ruins this film for me, but everyone is churning out such positive reviews, I really can't wait to see it! I plan to, honestly ;) Today I watched the Book Thief and that I loved a lot <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agreed, agreed! It was an unbelievably faithful adaptation, a true fan's movie, and I loved that! I also thought the actors did an amazing job and really became the characters for me, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Though not released here in the UK until later I'm hoping to read the book before seeing the film. Great review, its always a good sign when someone says they long to see it again.


    http://pettywitter.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to watch this!! But sadly, I have to read the book first lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw the movie last weekend. I cried like a baby. The tears started coming about halfway through the movie purely out of anticipation. This movie was so well-done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did actually see Elgort in something; he played Tris' brother in Divergent! I'm really glad he wasn't super important to that movie or I think this one might have been a bit odd haha. But I think he nailed Augustus perfectly! And I agree that Woodley rocked Hazel. I loved the movie. Hope to see it again before it exits theaters. Happy to see you loved it too!

    --Katie at The Pop Cultist

    ReplyDelete
  19. I promised my daughter we would go see it, but I haven't read it yet... I'm dreading the inevitable sobbing (from me, as I read it.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review. Determined to read the book before seeing the film which hasn't been released here yet, I really appreciate that you didn't include any spoilers.


    http://pettywitter.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't wait to see the movie - I loved the book. I thought the emotions/behavior of a cancer sufferer was very well true to life. I hope it doesn't take to long for the movie to make it to us.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)